Is Google Making Us Stupid? - Guy Billout
I feel smarter using Google than I do this article.
The organization was clean cut and clear. The vocabulary was easily understood and the principle was coherent. I'm just not sure I understand why the author wrote this piece, especially being titled the way it was...
Question: Is Google making us stupid?
Answer: Well, yes because I have a hard time doing this, but then maybe not because I can now do this, but most likely not because our brains adapt and slowly become reformatted to the new medias throughout history.
Does this mean we are stupid, now, but further generations will grow to adapt to Google, so they will be smarter?
Just as the author had noted in the beginning I lost interest and started skimming (just kidding professor, I read the entire thing all the way through: highlighted, notes in the margin and all.) Maybe Google isn't to blame for readers not staying interested - maybe its the content being published that isn't interesting enough to keep reading!
Oh and I'm very confused about the first paragraph - HAL the supercomputer? I can't even picture or recall the scene he is trying to portray. Is A Space Odyssey a movie? I wouldn't know without Googling it... how ironic.
On the article on CNN.com by Madison Park - simply put yet again, this article made me feel less intelligent just reading it. (Short Essay was written on this article - handed in for grade 13 February). Shame on you CNN for publishing such an article!
Teens Just Don't Blog or Tweet [STATS]
I'm not a fan of statistics. They are a major turn off in just about every way. Unless it is on a smaller scope that I can relate to, I just can't conceptualize what 30% of the 82% in the 65% of the whole really means.
They are a bad idea too, I'm going to question every single figure thrown at me - there are so many factors and an endless amount of variables that come into play when you are speaking of a percent of a whole or a percent of any part.
No comments:
Post a Comment